Most of the Malaysian and Singaporeans who visit Hatyai primarily come for one reason: Shopping! Items from Thailand are generally cheaper from those of Malaysia and Singapore. So, if you happen to visit Hatyai, here are the cheaper things that you can buy. BUt please remember that you need to bargain to get the best price. You can see some bargaining tips here:
1) Preserved fruits and nuts. They sell these nuts and preserved fruits by kilo and it’s quite cheap. Just make sure you buy them at Kim Yong Market and not at the stalls at the side walk near Lee Gardens Plaza since the price doubles or even triples when it reaches that place.
2) Fruits . If it’s tamarind season, you better try their amazingly sweet tamarinds. Durian, Mangosteen, Mangos and Rambutans are also so tasty and incredibly cheap during the season. But then again, you can’t bring fruits across the border as Malaysian custom has a rule on this. So, you just better eat all the fruits you can while in Hatyai.
3) Clothes, Shoes, bags. You can find all these at Asian Trade Market, Plaza or Kim Yong. But if you’re into signature brands, then the only place for you to go is Central Department stores, but they do have regular sale on their products.
4) Accessories and what- nots.
5) Thai souvenir items. from letter holders, purse, shirt to keychains. The best place to buy all these is near Lee Gardens. And don’t forget to bargain..