If you happen to go to Myanmar, here are the list of things you should buy.
1) Jade or precious stones – Their precious stones are of good quality and very cheap compared to those being sold in other parts of Southeast Asia. I got this nice bracelet ( Jade with other stones) for only 45pesos or 3 Malaysian Ringgit ( approx. 1 $). And yesterday , when we went to one of the shops here in Malaysia, I found the same bracelet sold for 37 Malaysian Ringgit. Unbelievable!
2) Spices – It must be weird to include this in the shopping list but for those who loves to cook, getting these spices is a must. Spices like star anise, cinnamon sticks , bay leaf and etc are just so huge ( 2-3 times their normal sizes) and the aroma is amazing. I still have to try out cooking with these spices but I’ve heard it just makes your food truly delicious.
3) Myanmar Shirts- Of course to let everyone know you’ve been to Myanmar, why not buy one of those shirts. They’re selling it for only 5 Ringgit Malaysia ( 70-75 pesos).
4) Paintings – Oh, if we just had the money, I could have bought one of those paintings that they sell in Bogyoke Aung San Market. It would really make a great souvenir item and pretty decorations on the wall. Most of the paintings, depict their life and culture in Myanmar.
5) Pretty Pictures with embellished stones – Designs range from very intricate to simple and the sizes also vary. If you just want a very simple souvenir to give out to your friends you can get one for only 5 RM.